Feeding advice for seniors and veterans
- Feed ad-lib forage/forage replacers (at least 1.5% of bodyweight), the best quality you can afford
- Consistent forage supply supports a healthy digestive system
- Choose a low-calorie option for good doers
- Regular access to forage keeps your horse warm, as fermentation in the hind gut produces heat, a top tip for those who drop weight in the colder weather - keep them warm
- Be sure your horse's diet provides the vitamins, minerals and protein they need for continued daily health
- Feed prebiotics AND probiotics to help increase the efficiency of nutrient and calorie absorption (both included in Senior and Senior Plus)
- Include additional oil for added calories if needed, supported by the inclusion of antioxidants, such as Vitamin E from your feed balancer
- Feed high quality digestible protein for maintaining top line
- For poorer doers, top-up with super-fibres such as sugar-beet or mashes with generous oil content
- Weigh tape and body condition score regularly to track and record changes in weight loss or weight gain
- Check your horse's dentition every 6 months with a Vet or Equine Dentist, as poor dental health can lead to compromised digestion
- Older horses may need a specialised Senior feed, however we recommend contacting us for feeding advice as all horses are different
- Exercise can help improve muscle tone, circulation and general well-being. Many older horses can continue work well into their 20's
Why Blue Chip Senior or Senior Plus Feed Balancers?
- High quality digestible protein, rich in lysine and methionine, the building blocks of protein
- Prebiotics, probiotics nucleotides and beta glucans for improved digestive health, nutrient and calorie absorption
- Glucosamine, rosehip extract, MSM, calcium and omega oils for daily joint support
- Supporting hormonal balance with the inclusion of Chaste tree berry
- Low in starch and sugar, suitable for those with EMS and PPID (Cushing's Disease)
- Complete hoof supplement included
- Unique respiratory supplement included
- NEW tooth supplement included
- Skin and coat conditioner, for that famous Blue Chip shine!
- De-stressor to help ponies and horses feel comfortable, relaxed and happy
- Fantastic palatability to encourage healthy appetite and tempt fussy feeders
- As with all our feed balancers, MOLASSES FREE!
Did you know?
Older horses may struggle to chew correctly. Adding water to their feed to form a mash is both tastier and easier for them to eat, limiting the risk of choke and colic.
Blue Chip feed balancers can be fed dry, damp or wet.